The European Validation phase starts when the notice of Intention to Grant is received from the European Patent Office. The Validation phase has two distinct stages, that are outlined in the following diagram:
Stage 1 is the acceptance of the grant which must be carried out within 4 months of receiving the notice of Intention to Grant. It consists of:
- Paying grant and publishing fees
- Translating claims into English, French or German (the two languages other than the language the patent has been drafted in)
- Filing the claim translations at the EPO.
Stage 2 is the validation of the patent in each designated country and comprises:
- Translating the patent and filing the translation
- Paying the official validation fees
- Instructing a local agent to file the translation if required
- It is the second stage where the significanrt costs can be incurred.
- Request a quote for designated countries of interest
- Instruct IPRIS for option A and/or B
- IPRIS confirm receipt of instructions, provide updates and confirmation on validation proceedings
- Related European renewals are coordinated with client