The European Validation phase starts when the notice of Intention to Grant is received from the European Patent Office. The Validation phase has two distinct stages.
The first stage is the acceptance of the grant which must be carried out within 4 months of receiving the notice of Intention. It consists of:
- Paying grant and publishing fees
- Translating claims into English, French or German (the two languages other than the language the patent has been drafted in)
- Filing the claim translations at the European Patent Office.
The second stage is the validation of the patent in each designated country and comprises:
- Translating the patent and filing the translation
- Paying the official validation fees
- Instructing a local agent to file the translation if required
It is the second stage where the significanrt costs are incurred.